<$BlogRSDURL$>



*Disclaimer

Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Gordon's gallery 

A few years ago, when I was working for AAA, I was given a trip to Mexico's Mayan Riviera, and I've posted some of my pictures from that hot Yucatan Peninsula. I stayed in an area, south of Cancun, known as the Mayan Riviera. During the day, I took "field trips" to places such as Chichen Itza and Coba, where step pyramids still stand as reminders of a lost civilization.

The interior of the Yucatan is basically a scrubby, semi-jungle; but it's Caribbean Sea Coast is filled with popular beaches. One of the highlights at night, was to walk along the rocky beach and see the twinkling lights from the island of Cozumel, and look up and see an incredible starry sky. That night sky was amazing, not only for the number of visible stars, but for the different constellations, that I wasn't accustomed to seeing in Louisville. Being in a different part of the world, seeing some of the constellations I'm familiar with, but in different parts of the sky, was truly amazing to me. I spent hours on the beach at night, just walking and looking at the stars.

The pictures I've posted, are of the ruins in Chichen Itza. The climb to the top of one of step pyramids, was rather harrowing. Walking up wasn't as bad as walking down! And no handrails, either. The pyramid was crumbling in many places, and I was told, that it might be closed to to the public soon. Once at the peak, I took some photos of the view, and of a dog, sleeping inside the little temple on top. He had the right idea-- it was a lot cooler in there, in the shade. ;~}

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?